[Swift-devel] gram4 detecting own host identity

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sun May 18 12:45:36 CDT 2008

(I just sent this by accident to the secret SWFT list - it was intended
for this list, swift-devel)

A couple (or maybe three) times in the past few days I've seen the GRAM4
submission be extremely bad at detecting its own identity to use in
WS-Notification subscriptions - it seems to end up using 'localhost'
rather than the global-scope hostname...

Here is one from andrew.bsd.uchicago.edu, for example (it also happens on
wiggum and on my laptop):

<ns1:ConsumerReference><wsa:Address>https://localhost:50000/
wsrf/services/NotificationConsumerService</wsa:Address>

[...]

These machines, as far as any sane unix person would think, are correctly
identifying themselves with the hostname command, have proper forward and
reverse DNS set up, and the like; pretty much everything else can figure
out the local identity correctly; so the workaround 'set GLOBUS_HOSTNAME
to your hostname' seems unnecessarily complicated in these cases.