[Swift-devel] Re: swift-falkon problem

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Mar 17 14:16:34 CDT 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Ioan Raicu wrote:

> > Failed to transfer wrapper log from amps1-20080316-1643-g4n8t252/info/0/sico

> I don't understant this error, how is this error text being generated?  Falkon
> only returns back a numeric exit code.  Could this error be a post processing
> error when Swift couldn't manipulate the local file system, or it couldn't
> find some expecting files?  What exit code does Falkon return for this task,
> 0, or something else?

That bit is a follow-on error, so pretty much ignore it - I haven't
figured out what the right thing to do is for presenting it to the user.
Basically:

  1. swift tries to run an execuable (using provider-deef, in this case)
  2. run of executable fails (i.e. provider-deef is passing back an erro)
  3. swift tries to stage back the wrapper log to help diagnosis
  4. the wrapper log doesn't exist (presumably the wrapper never executed
that far in the failed executable step 1)
  5. swift reports the above error/warning that step 3 failed.

So that line is an error that is a follow on from step 1 failing.

> We need to figure out if the failure is in executing the tasks in Falkon, or
> if that is OK, and the error is in Swift not finding some files afterwards.

Provider-deef is reporting that execution failed. So its not the second
one of those. But there isn't enough log information in mike's report to
indicate where below the swift/provider-deef interface the error is
occurring.

The present swift+falkon joint deployment code still seems screwy enough
to not merge in the provider-deef log4j command, which is annying. I'll
have a look at that.