[Swift-devel] Re: Question of wrapper.sh

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 7 07:40:08 CST 2008

Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Ioan Raicu wrote:
>

>>> I notice you're using quite an old version of swift
>>>
>> iraicu at login1.surveyor:/home/zzhang/cog/modules/vdsk> svn info
>>

>> Revision: 1673
>>

> Zhao's log reported this:
>
> zhaozhang at viper:~/vdsk-0.3/examples/vdsk> swift first.swift
> Swift v0.3 r1319 (modified locally)

Notice that this Swift is from viper, a machine in RI.  He might be
playing with this to get used to learning about Swift, but that is not
being used on the BG/P in any way, as everything we run on the BG/P
needs to run from the login nodes.  Zhao, can you confirm that the runs
you are making with Swift on the BG/P are indeed using a recent
version?  Can you also do an update of Swift on the BG/P to make sure we
have the latest?
> which is nowhere near the version that you report - something in the 1600s
> is a reasonable number, but that's not what the log output was. So please
> clarify which version you actually have poor behaviour for. If it is in
> the r1600 range, then I'm interested to fix up - but in the r1600s there
> should be absolutely no cross-node shared log files at all.
>

>> Every job still has a scratch space sandbox, which results in a mkdir,
>> symbolic linking, and finally a cleanup remove dir.  I think this is the
>> dir he is referring to.  BTW, if there would be an easy way to eliminate
>> this entire mkdir part of the wrapper script without breaking anything
>> in Swift, it would be nice.  The apps we are dealing with don't need the
>> sandboxing, as we know all input files, and all output files, and we'll
>> never have input as *.fits that might be ambiguous if we don't sandbox.
>>

> If the jobs touch only those files, I think you can probably eliminate the
> mkdir, the ln to copy files in and the cp to copy files back out, and run
> the job in the shared directory directly. However, as each node will then
> be trying to do stuff to that shared directly, my initial thoughts would
> be that it wouldn't really change much (perhaps better, perhaps worse).

That is what I thought.  We'll try that and see what we get!  We'll keep
you posted.

Ioan

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate