[Swift-devel] Re: Question of wrapper.sh

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 02:36:40 CST 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Ioan Raicu wrote:

> > I notice you're using quite an old version of swift
> iraicu at login1.surveyor:/home/zzhang/cog/modules/vdsk> svn info

> Revision: 1673

Zhao's log reported this:

zhaozhang at viper:~/vdsk-0.3/examples/vdsk> swift first.swift
Swift v0.3 r1319 (modified locally)

which is nowhere near the version that you report - something in the 1600s
is a reasonable number, but that's not what the log output was. So please
clarify which version you actually have poor behaviour for. If it is in
the r1600 range, then I'm interested to fix up - but in the r1600s there
should be absolutely no cross-node shared log files at all.

> Every job still has a scratch space sandbox, which results in a mkdir,
> symbolic linking, and finally a cleanup remove dir.  I think this is the
> dir he is referring to.  BTW, if there would be an easy way to eliminate
> this entire mkdir part of the wrapper script without breaking anything
> in Swift, it would be nice.  The apps we are dealing with don't need the
> sandboxing, as we know all input files, and all output files, and we'll
> never have input as *.fits that might be ambiguous if we don't sandbox.

If the jobs touch only those files, I think you can probably eliminate the
mkdir, the ln to copy files in and the cp to copy files back out, and run
the job in the shared directory directly. However, as each node will then
be trying to do stuff to that shared directly, my initial thoughts would
be that it wouldn't really change much (perhaps better, perhaps worse).