[Swift-devel] Falkon and Coaster support for MPI

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 30 12:31:53 CDT 2008

Comon Mihael, quit being so quick to argue :)

Adding MPI support might be easy, or hard, but it will certainly add
complexity to the scheduler that needs to support MPI.  If the user
community asks for this feature, we (Swift, Falkon, etc) would
eventually support it, but its not clear what priority this should take,
which partly depends on how hard it is to achieve the desired goal
(given all our limited resources and time).

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
>> I think we should be nervous about getting into the business of
>> implementing scheduler functionality like this.
>>

> That's funny. These are the problems we need to solve. We (Swift) are
> pretty much suffering from nobody else in the grid world having done so.
> I guess too many people were nervous.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory