[Swift-devel] Try coaster on BG/P ?

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Jun 19 18:56:13 CDT 2008

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Michael Wilde wrote:

> Whats the form of the coaster head-node job? Is that Java, or some form of
> script? (I recall Java, but keep forgetting).

java I think, with perl on the workers.

> Do you think Swift/Coaster will scale well if it had up to 640 servers,
> one for each p-set of 256 compute cores? Thats one "natural" mode of
> deployment.

At the moment, that would look like 640 sites with 256 compute nodes each.

I've never seen Swift run with anything like that number of sites - the
biggest is probably Xi's work with tens of OSG sites; I've also not tried
coaster out with hundreds of workers (mostly because I don't have an easy
way at the moment to get that many workers running on a site).

I'm fairly certain some interesting scalability problems would appear
running at that scale, both in Swift and in the coaster code.