[Swift-devel] [VOTE] Mike to be dev.globus project chair

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 19 18:23:54 CDT 2008

On 6/18/08 7:25 PM, Ben Clifford wrote:
>> By dev.globus rules as far as I can tell, everyone on the developer's
>> list can vote but only the committers votes are binding.
>
> The guidelines define no specific process for the election of a chair
> other than:
>
>> Each Globus project is required to name a project Chair via some process
>> defined by the project's committers.
 >
> Specifically they do not mandate that either of the electoral mechanisms,
> 'Majority approval' or 'Consensus approval' are used.

Sounds reasonable. I proposed a vote for that process, and the vote was
conducted. If I said that the vote was proposed because dev.globus
guidelines said we need to vote on this issue, I stand corrected. I dont
recall what I wrote - and dont think it was critical.

As far as I can see, your statement above is unrelated to the issue of
votes being binding.

> Tibi, as a non-committer, does not get to define the process by which a
> project chair is named. However, he might participate in that process,
> depending on how it is defined.
>
> Should that process be defined (by the committers) to be 'majority
> approval' then he would be able to participate in the majority approval
> vote as a 'contributor' and hence a 'member'; in that respect his vote
> would count in the second clause of the majority approval requirement that
> there be more +1 votes than -1 votes; it would not count towards the first
> clause requirement that there be at least three binding +1 votes.

OK, sounds pretty complex, but I *think* it makes sense. I ask that we
all be patient with each other as we figure this out. Clearly we can get
into all sorts of parliamentary issues, but I hope that common sense
prevails.

>> The guidelines ask that committers indicate this with the string
>> "(binding)" after their vote, as in "+1 (binding)".
>
> They make no such request. They assert that a committer *may* add that
> indication, in order to simplify a tally. My interpretation of the
> guidelines is that placing such a mark or not placing such a mark does not
> affect the nature of the particular committer's vote in any way.

Yes, thats what I was assuming it meant, too.

> On a non-guideline related note:
>
>> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:35:49 -0500
>> The vote closes at 5:00 PM CDT today, June 18.
>
> That is an extremely short voting window not even covering one 24h period;
> given the global nature of Swift development, this is a bad precedent to
> set for vote duration.

Agreed - I apologize - I was trying to rush this through because I
thought it was a trivial issue, I didnt want to "declare" my self chair
without a vote, and thought we could get it done quickly.  I agree with
you though, we should not rush a vote.

Again - please let common sense prevail. The dev.globus rules were
intended to help large projects make decisions. In the same way that
dev.globus should not interfere with pre-existing infrastructure that
works well, we should not let it turn a decision making process that was
already working well into something that is suddenly burdensome.

If thats happening, its not dev.globus's fault - we're doing it to
ourselves.

No one in dev.globus management is going to question any decisions our
group makes on Swift development, as long as no contributors object.
If they do, then thats being counter-productive and we should not accept it.

I feel that if we make a good faith and common sense attempt to run an
open process, then all should work well and all should be happy.

To go out of our way to dicker about rules and procedures, just because
dev.globus had the burden of defining such things, is unproductive.