[Swift-devel] Try coaster on BG/P ?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 19 15:07:08 CDT 2008

On 6/19/08 2:52 PM, Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 14:47 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
>> I *think* that both the login nodes and the compute nodes can reach the
>> ION (and vice versa) on direct networks without NAT, hopefully allowing
>> Coaster UDP communication to work.
>
> I thought we agreed that UDP is not worth the trouble.

If so, I either forgot or missed that in the email thread. But thats OK
- I have no preference until the choice of protocol proves to be an
issue for scalability or reliability. Have you switched the
implementation to TCP?

>> Coaster is not  a high priority for this, but in the next few weeks I
>> hope to start running the apps above under Swift.  If Coaster is ready
>> to try on the BGP at that point, I'm eager to test it there. Before that
>> I hope to test it first in an environment where it already works.
>>
>> Ben or Mihael, can you point me to (or write) a README on how to run
>> Coaster?
>
> Do you want to run a standalone service?

Do you mean standalone as in "not started automatically by Swift via
GRAM"?  If so, I think yes: on the BGP, one mode would be to run one or
more services from some Swift or related Coaster startup script, that
would launch the service(s) - either one, on the login host on which
you're running Swift, or on IO nodes, one per processor-set.