[Swift-devel] including non-standard providers in Swift builds

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 28 22:54:35 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 19:27 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> I'm confused about the correct way to include both deef and coaster
> providers in a build. Specifically:
>
> I want to say something like:
>
>    ant -Dwith-provider-coaster -Dwith-provider-deef redist

That's what you're supposed to say.

> 1) Is saying -Dwith-provider-coaster the same as saying
> -Dwith-provider-coaster=true ?

According to the apache ANT semantics, and in what I would consider a
convenient yet weird way, yes.

> 2) Is the right way to add both providers to put on two separate -D
> options as above?

Yes.

> 3) Does redist clean out the whole previous dist dir contents?

If it calls distclean (which it seems to do) then it cleans the dist dir
contents, the build dir contents, and all the build dirs contents of all
dependents.

> 4) If repeatedly building the dist after making source changing, do I
> need to do any "clean" operations, or just "ant redist" with the right -D's?

redist implies clean and more. So no.

> I ask this because the line I show above does not seem to consistently
> build both providers. Yesterday I was getting deef but no coaster; today
> I'm getting coaster but no deef. I havent tried enough experiments (or
> reading) to figure this out yet.

Try running ant with -q. It gives you only a very short summary of what
happens. Then paste that and we'll see (though probably you'll spot the
problem before that).