[Swift-devel] Drop kickstart, adopt wrapper logs?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 25 08:17:39 CDT 2008

Im not aware of any work done in that direction.
I would have to hunt back through emails for the last thing we said we
would do.

Its been an often discussed topic, but one thats hard to move forward on.

The tradeoff is doing something that works well for swift, vs having a
significantly larger and longer discussion on what would work for GRAM
as well (and potentially Condor and ...)

One possibility is that we stay with a kickstart like architecture where
kickstart is the last thing called to launch the app, and that becomes a
separable component that can be used elsewhere. We do it in a way that
its useful with GRAM and other systems, and which users can just use.

Then the discussion becomes mostly one of data format.
There the two likely candidates are XML or name/value pairs, possibly in
some other "standard" format, eg classads.

Another possibility is to emit an xml doc in a rigid format that doesnt
need an xml parser to process it - sort of n/v pairs in xml. This gets
complicated with multiline and escape issues of course.

Its worth a chat with the GRAM team.  It will be a slower harder route
though.  Thats a tradeoff.

- Mike