[Swift-devel] Re: Is there a way to make swift send 256 tasks at a time

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 23 09:36:12 CDT 2008

Lets experiment and measure with the current settable properties before
we consider any changes.

Note that we already have a tail effect on most workloads; perhaps the
Swift dynamics will have little effect on that. They might even have a
positive effect by biasing work towards psets that are returning work
faster (due to the fact that they wound up with shorter jobs). Im not
sure if that happens at the moment.

In real usage, users may request longer provisions and take advantage of
free cycles in the "tails" for real work. And/or they may set
provisioned resources to free up for other users as their own usage
tails off.

- Mike