[Swift-devel] Re: Phone meeting?

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sat Jan 19 11:55:55 CST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> > > app (quark output) cvt12x12 (file input) {
> > >         CVT12x12 "-v" "-i" @input "-o" @output;
> > > }

[...]
> I thought it would make more sense for reasons beyond cosmetics. The
> app{} block cannot, for example, be used in a foreach loop (or at least
> it isn't well defined there). So it is bound to a "procedure"
> definition.

This has been bugging me for a while. Its a pretty straightforward change
at the text-mode parser level, and as someone else seems to have come up
with the same solution that I've had buzzing round my brain for a while, I
guess that indicates some consensus.

> > One minor issue - would it be better to place this "function attribute"
> > closer to the function name,
> > such as "(quark output) app cvt12x12 (file input)"? Or perhaps after the
> > function name?

> I'd personally like to follow known styles (e.g. Java), but I guess the
> parser can be made to understand "app" flexibly.

I'd prefer to follow Java/C syntax style as much as possible. I'd also
prefer to not have flexibility here - it complicates the parser which
tends to have a fairly direct consequence of making syntax error messages
less useful.