[Swift-devel] several alternatives to design the data management system for Swift on SuperComputers

Zhao Zhang zhaozhang at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 1 23:24:36 CST 2008

Hi, Mihael

I think the attached graph could answer your question.

All the tests were run 2 racks, 8k cores, with 8192 jobs. Each file
created by the test is 1KB.

1_DIR_5_FILE means,  all 8192 cores are writing 5 files to 1 dir on
GPFS, in this test, within 300 seconds only 31 jobs returned successful.
32_DIR_5_FILE , all 8192 cores are writing 5 files to the unique
directory for IO node on GPFS. 8192 jobs took 91.026 seconds
1000_DIR_5_FILE , all 8192 cores are writing 5 files to 1000
hierarchical directories on GPFS. 8192 jobs took 81.555 seconds
32_DIR_1_FILE , by batching the 5 output files, each core is wring one
tarball to the directory unique for each IO node on GPFS, 8192 jobs took
23.616 seconds
CIO_5_FILE , with CIO, each core write 5 files to IFS, 8192 jobs took
12.007 seconds.

Then we could tell 32_DIR_5_FILE doesn't slow down the performance much
comparing with
1000_DIR_5_FILE. And in this test case, each task is writing 5 files,
and in the real case for CIO
each IO node will write one tar ball at a time. So the performances of
the two should be more closer.

So, in CIO we use a unique directory for one IO node(keep in mind, each
IO node has 256 workers).
For the GPFS test case in the paper, we use the fixed number of 10x1000
hierarchical directories for output.

Does the above thing make the question clear?

best wishes
zhangzhao