[Swift-devel] several alternatives to design the data management system for Swift on SuperComputers

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 1 23:03:43 CST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 21:43 -0600, Ian Foster wrote:
> Dear All:
>
> b) "Collective I/O": improving performance between intermediate file
> system and GPFS by aggregating many small operations into fewer large
> operations.

This is a part that I'm having trouble understanding.

The paper mentions distributing data to different directories (in 6.2.),
but not whether the experiment was done with that or not.
Are the measurements taken with applications writing data to the same
directory or a different directory for each application/node or was the
whole thing done with Swift?