[Swift-devel] several alternatives to design the data management system for Swift on SuperComputers

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 1 17:10:03 CST 2008

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 16:52 -0600, Ioan Raicu wrote:

>> I don't think you realize how expensive GPFS access is when doing so
>> at 100K CPU scale.
>>

> I don't think I understand what you mean by "access". As I said, things
> that generate contention are going to be slow.
>
> If the problem requires that contention to happen, then it doesn't
> matter what the solution is. If it does not, then I suspect that there
> is a way to avoid contention in GPFS, too (sticking things in different
> directories).

The basic idea is that many smaller shared file systems will scale
better than 1 large file system, as the contention is localized. The
problem is that having 1 global namespace is simple and straight
forward, but having N local namespaces is not, and requires extra
management. If we try to beat GPFS by implementing a global
shared/parallel file system, we are likely to fail, as Ben or you
already mentioned... but by changing the landscape a bit by splitting
the single large global space into many smaller spaces, we should gain
scalability and performance larger scales.

Ioan

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory