[Swift-devel] several alternatives to design the data management system for Swift on SuperComputers

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 1 17:04:07 CST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 16:52 -0600, Ioan Raicu wrote:

> > I beg to disagree. Swift provides the mechanism to record where data is.
> > The key issue is that queuing systems don't allow control over the exact
> > nodes that tasks go to.
> >
> Well, Falkon with data diffusion gives you that level of control :)

And if the Swift team decides to drop anything else besides Falkon, then
this is even a viable alternative.

> I don't think you realize how expensive GPFS access is when doing so
> at 100K CPU scale.

I don't think I understand what you mean by "access". As I said, things
that generate contention are going to be slow.

If the problem requires that contention to happen, then it doesn't
matter what the solution is. If it does not, then I suspect that there
is a way to avoid contention in GPFS, too (sticking things in different
directories).