[Swift-devel] class (as in programming) upgrades

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 31 14:12:36 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 19:00 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>
> > Fresh from LtU: http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2960
> >
> > Seems very close to my understanding of the intent of versions in
> > VDL/Swift, but nicely formalized.
>
> I read that earlier today. They don't seem to have much in the way of
> implementation (and thus in experience with using in practice).

Which in itself makes no statement about the solution being good or bad.
But to me it looks decent.

> SwiftScript programs don't seem to be getting much in the way of
> complexity expressionwise which would be something that might cause
> versioning and namespaces to take a higher priority;

Except when somebody tries to use it in a production environment (i2u2),
with data and analyses that span a few years.

So I think this is one of those things where if some project using Swift
realizes it needs it, it's probably too late.

>  and I don't think
> their linear version model really fits in with the actual diversity of
> applications that appear in real life (which is also what I think about
> using linear versions in VDL).

It's a reasonable model that I think would work fairly well in many
cases.