[Swift-devel] Swift Innovation for BOINC : Design Spec

Xu Du duxu at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 8 11:37:29 CDT 2008

Hi Ben,

The object of the project is to enable swift dispatch a job to BOINC. Currently, BOINC and Swift are independent.  BOINC has itself mechanism to manage the jobs( tasks),  it doesn't employ the shared file system. Simple speaking, a tasks will be created and the relate data (input files) will be put into BOINC Date Base when we submit a job to BOINC sever. In fact, there is no change on the files (including the executable program and the data) during so called "file transfer", what is done here is only to put the files to BOINC DB and register a new task on BOINC sever.  After a task submitted, BOINC server will handle the task, all BOINC clients connect with BOINC server, the procedure of BOINC system processing the task is transparent to Swift.

Thanks,

Xu