[Swift-devel] Problem calling atomic procedure with multiple args via Falkon

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 7 13:16:53 CDT 2008

Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Apr 2008, Michael Wilde wrote:
>

>> involves wrapper.sh using system(). The IFS char "|" is causing the cmd
>> to end there.
>>

> [...]
>

>> Can anyone spot where the problem is?
>>

> Using system to invoke the command is perhaps a bad thing to do - the
> other layers in the stack (including in Falkon in the Java worker) keep
> the arguments in array-like data structures to help avoid need for
> quoting.

I agree, and one of these days (maybe sooner rather than later), we'll
switch to fork() and exec(), rather than system.
> The C worker isn't portable enough to build on my laptop so I can't easily
> play there,
The C worker is quite basic, what error do you get that it doesn't
compile?  It has compiled for me on numerous platforms as is, so if its
something we need to fix in general to help it be more portable, let us
know.

Ioan
> but you might try yourself replacing the system call with
> execve or something like that.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory