[Swift-devel] coaster status summary

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 4 07:12:47 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 06:59 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> Mihael, this is great progress - very exciting.
> Some questions (dont need answers right away):
>
> How would the end user use it? Manually start a service?
> Is the service a separate process, or in the swift jvm?

I though the lines below answered some of these.

A user would specify the coaster provider in sites.xml. The provider
will then automatically deploy a service on the target machine without
the user having to do so. Given that the service is on a different
machine than the client, they can't be in the same JVM.

> How are the number of workers set or adjusted?

Currently workers are requested as much as needed, up to a maximum. This
is preliminary hence "Better allocation strategy for workers".

> Does a service manage workers on one cluster or many?

One service per cluster.

> At 180 jobs/sec with 10 workers, what were the CPU loads on swift,
> worker and service?

I faintly recall them being at less than 50% for some reason I don't
understand.

> Do you want to try this on the workflows we're running on Falkon on the
> BGP and SiCortex?

Let me repeat "prototype" and "more testing". In no way do I want to do
preliminary testing with an application that is shaky on an architecture
that is also shaky.

Mihael