[Fwd: Re: [Swift-devel] Re: swift-falkon problem... plots to explain plateaus...]

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 1 11:25:28 CDT 2008

On 4/1/08 11:08 AM, Mihael Hategan wrote:
> Having optimized wrappers for different architectures is a perfectly
> valid option.

I agree.

Also to consider is having the wrappers behave differently (e.g. use
local vs shared filesystem) based on knowledge of the app's size and I/O
volume vs available space and transfer rates.

I'm in favor of heading to an approach where we have good fast default
configurations for all our locally used systems (TG, OSG and the
supercomputers) that work well for most apps, and some well documented
guidelines tell users under what conditions they need to change the
settings.