[Fwd: Re: [Swift-devel] Re: swift-falkon problem... plots to explain plateaus...]

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 1 08:37:52 CDT 2008

Ben,
The #s below were from the SiCortex, which only has NFS.  We are using
the latest Swift from SVN, so if the Swift improvements to avoid these
bottlenecks are enabled by default in Swift, then we are using them already!

On the BG/P, we have GPFS and PVFS, but we found GPFS to handle
meta-data better, so we are using GPFS for all our tests.

Ioan

Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Michael Wilde wrote:
>

>> With this fixed, the total time in wrapper.sh including the app is now about
>> 15 seconds, with 3 being in the app-wrapper itself. The time seems about
>> evenly spread over the several wrapper.sh operations, which is not surprising
>> when 500 wrappers hit NFS all at once.
>>

> Does this machine have a higher (/different) performance shared file
> system such as PVFS or GPFS? We spent some time in november layout out the
> filesystem to be sympathetic to GPFS to help avoid bottlenecks like you
> are seeing here. It would be kinda sad if either it isn't available or you
> aren't using it even though it is available.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department