[Fwd: Re: [Swift-devel] Re: swift-falkon problem... plots to explain plateaus...]

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 1 08:04:04 CDT 2008

We're only working on the BG/P system, and GPFS is the only shared
filesystem there.

GPFS access, however, remains a big scalabiity issue. Frequent small
accesses to GPFS in our measurements really slow down the workflow. We
did a lot of micro-benchmark tests.

Zhao, can you gather a set of these tests into a small suite and post
numbers so the Swift developers can get an understanding of the system's
GPFS access performance?

Also note: the only local filesystem is RAM disk on /tmp or /dev/shm.
(Ioan and Zhao should confirm if they verified that /tmp is on RAM).

- Mike