[Swift-devel] Re: runtime mapper loading of mappers

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 28 12:58:08 CDT 2007

Is it reasonable to see if simple shell scripts can serve as mappers?
Then add a way to nicely configure them?  (eg MAPPERPATH, mappers.data etc)

I think the ability to express the mapping functions through a
command-line interface will enable people to write mappers in any
language they want, starting with shell.

We'd need to measure, but I suspect the performance hit for such a
call-out to mappers will be negligible for most workflows.

Is that where this is going, Ben, or are you focusing first on making
Java mappers easier to add?

- Mike