[Swift-devel] a weekend playing with graphs

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 24 10:38:07 CDT 2007

All Falkon logs are currently named the same thing, but at the start of
a new experiment, the old logs get archived in a folder by the date and
time of the archive operation.  So, in essence, all the logs from all
the runs are kept around until someone removes them.

Now, the motivation for keeping the same names for every run, was for
ease of automated graphing tools and scripts.  Maybe with a little more
effort in these tools to make them a bit smarter and find the logs in
different files or directories every time, and Falkon could adopt the
same methodology Swift has.

Ioan

Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Ioan Raicu wrote:
>

>> I save all the logs for important runs anyways... perhaps there should
>> be some scripts that collect all the relevant logs (from Swift, Falkon,
>> etc), label them accordingly, generate graphs, etc... all automatically
>> when the workflow completes!
>>

> everything swift generates goes in unique filenames (which is why swift
> log files have ugly names: badmonkey-20070922-0910-gzpu2ju4.log). So you
> can copy swift logs and kickstart records into one big directory along
> with everything else with no need to rename.
>
> Would be good if you could do the same for falkon log files.
>
> I think it is important to keep the colleciton of logs separate from
> generating reports - people making the runs don't care about the same
> things as people wanting reports.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Laboratory