[Swift-devel] Re: folding/sequential-while/whatever and accessing data in files

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Sep 7 14:08:49 CDT 2007

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Yong Zhao wrote:

> Just want to make a short comment that Ian once mentioned the syntax
>
> int i<"myint.txt">;
>
> should be valid, so you don't need the weird @extractint function. Mappers
> should be able to extract swift structures from any kind of formats. I was
> using CSVMapper to extract information in the montage workflow to drive
> the execution depending on intermediate files.

I thought CSV mapper only dealt with the filenames with actual data being
stored in disk files? If not, can you provide a concise example that I can
put in the tutorial.

I think in the long run, I think it is a reasonable approach that mapper
syntax like this:

  int i<"myint.txt">;

meaning that i is accessible as an in-language value through some layout
as defined by the mapper.

However, it isn't the way that the implementation works at the moment.

(I find myself disliking the word 'should' these days too... perhaps I
will add it to my list...)