[Swift-devel] Clustering and Temp Dirs with Swift

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Oct 29 03:47:04 CDT 2007

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Michael Wilde wrote:

> Workflow IDs dont need to be unique outside of a user or group.

The way I've been thinking things would work with log file names (which to
an extent overlaps with workflow IDs) is this:

  * Swift generates a log file name by default that is very unique
    (i.e. its present format is workflow name + timestamp + random)

  * The log file name can be overridden with the -log command line option
    (which was broken but I fixed it in r1357)

  * To get domain-specific log file naming with your own
    uniqueness rules (eg. a sequence number), use -log
    to specify that.

I think the present log naming is a good way to name things in the absence
of any domain-specific naming strategy; and I think -log is a good way for
a domain specific naming strategy to be plugged in.