[Swift-devel] excessive rate throttling for apparently temporally-restricted failures

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 28 22:53:08 CDT 2007

For some reason this quote from that article seems particularily
relevant (in that it shows how similar the problem is):

A simple way to implement cruise control is to lock the throttle
position when the driver engages cruise control. However, on hilly
terrain, the vehicle will slow down going uphill and accelerate going
downhill. This type of controller is called an open-loop controller
because there is no direct connection between the output of the system
(the engine torque) and its input (the throttle position).

In a closed-loop control system, a feedback controller monitors the
output (the vehicle's speed) and adjusts the control input (the
throttle) as necessary to keep the control error to a minimum (to
maintain the desired speed). This feedback dynamically compensates for
disturbances to the system, such as changes in slope of the ground or
wind speed.