[Swift-devel] Clustering and Temp Dirs with Swift

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sun Oct 28 17:57:49 CDT 2007

any sequential numbering relies on having a global lock on a sequence
counter.

if we're expecting workflow log names to be unique amongst all workflow
runs ever (which I believe to be desirable) then there needs to be a
global shared counter variable between all instances of swift running
anywhere. that's lame.

having a large value space and picking numbers in there very sparsely (eg
timestamp + some random ID) is very scalable in this situation.