[Swift-devel] excessive rate throttling for apparently temporally-restricted failures

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Oct 28 10:25:11 CDT 2007

Assuming you have a single site to submit to, then I don't see why you
don't want to disable the site scoring altogether?  Of course you still
want throttling, but that is more on the level of X outstanding jobs at
any given time (and possibly Y jobs/sec submit rate), so you don't
overrun the LRM, but you would not want to lower X to some low value
just because some jobs are failing.  Again, once you go to multi-site
runs, you need the site scoring to decide among the different sites, but
with a single site, I see no drawbacks to disabling the site scoring
mechanism.

Ioan

Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Ioan Raicu wrote:
>

>> they were due to the stale NFS handle error.  I think Mihael outlined in an
>> email a while back how to disable the task submission throttling due to a bad
>> score, assuming that you have a single site to submit to anyways.
>>

> I know how to disable it. I don't particularly want it running rate free.
>
> Whats happening here is that the feedback loop feeding back too much / too
> fast for the situation I experience.
>
> There's plenty of fun to be had experimenting there; and I suspect there
> will be no One True Rate Controller.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Laboratory