[Swift-devel] Problem with @extractint?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 9 10:38:27 CDT 2007

If I understood this case right, the data dependencies were logically
correct but didnt behave so because @extractint() wasnt treated as a
first-class value.  (Mihael, can you clarify, if I got this wrong)

I need to gather all my notes, but one point is that in the userguide
and tutorial, early on, we should document how the data flow model
works, how its central to swift, and some examples of how it can cause
program behavior to be "surprising" (eg when the statements in a
procedure execute in reverse order, or when a statement in a calling
function executes while a called function is still active, trigerred by
events in the callee). Until one gets this model, Swift often seems to
violate the "principle of least astonishment" ;)

I'll save discussion on this till I get my notes out. I think the model
is fine, and that we need to better understand how it affects
programming and how to train users to use it (and debug in it).