[Swift-devel] Use case and examples needed to avoid large directories

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Oct 2 14:00:10 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, andrewj at uchicago.edu wrote:

> For instance,  say I have 10,000 input files total.  And it is
> split into two types, malignant and benign, 5000 each.  But
> these guys are distributed in a mulit-layer directory tree of
> some sort.
>
> like ~/swifthome/malignant/a01/b01/2/*
>      ~/swifthome/benign/c01/h5/9/*
>
> what would I write to define an array of inputs (malignant and
> benign separately) for all the files included in these
> subdirectories?

You couldn't do it with the mappers that we have now. You would have to
write/modify an existing one.

There is one, the filesystem array mapper, which maps directories out of a
directory - you would probably need something like that with a bit of
magic to make it recursive.

I can help you with that.

When you have it, you would declare an array like this:

  tumourfile benign[] <my_exciting_new_mapper;
                       location="/home/andrewj/foo">;