[Swift-devel] Re: angle-1000 second run

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Nov 6 08:16:11 CST 2007

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Michael Wilde wrote:

> 1. only 4 jobs max ran at a time (as seen by qstat over many many spot checks)

We can look at scoring from the run.

> 2. only ONE data file came back before I killed the run - yet hundreds were
> produced (as seen on the server size). Surely these should have started
> trickling in by now?

Not if jobs were still staging in - there's one file transfer throttle
shared between all file transfers, and stageins submitted at the start are
going to get serviced before stage outs. That should be apparent from a
graph if I plot it.

> 3. The cluster sizes were extremely small about 4 - should have been 10-20 by
> my calcs.

Increase the cluster queue delay parameter from 4 to about 30 (seconds).
This will make Swift wait much longer before putting clusters together,
which may allow more jobs to build up in the clustering queue.

Make sure that you havethe cluster maximum time and maxwalltimes for jobs
set to sensible values, because large clusters will highlight
misconfigurations there. In particular, note that the maximum cluster time
in the config file needs to be (less than) half of the maxwalltime
permitted for the site you submit to (so if you are allowewd to run 15
minute jobs, set the cluster maximum time to 7*60, for example).

Are you using the PBS provider or GRAM to submit?