[Swift-devel] swift-on-ec2

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed May 16 03:52:02 CDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Kate Keahey wrote:

> As Ian says, Borja and I were planning to meet with Ioan on Thursday to
> discuss interaction between Falkon and the workspace service (not
> necessarily/exclusively in the EC2 context). I don't completely
> understand the relationship between swift and falkon -- are there
> specific applications or scenarios that you are trying to target in this
> exercise?

By virtue of the fact that they come from pretty much the same group of
people, they're somewhat fuzzily related - but pretty much swift is
generating (over the duration of its execution, rather than in one batch)
a bunch of jobs that need executing (as well, as various things like file
transfers). As it generates them, it sends them off to be executed. The
official ways that are 'supported' by Swift are by executing them on the
local machine and by sending them off through GRAM; however, people can
plug in whatever they want to do submissions.

I know less about Falkon because it isn't Swift, but the Falkon side of
things is pretty much about running a bunch of jobs - it plugs into the
abovementioned place in Swift so that Swift gives Falkon jobs to run, and
Falkon runs them (with a goal of Falkon being, presumably, to run it much
more efficiently than if they were submitted straight through GRAM - it
seems to do pretty well).

There's two things going on with swift - one is about making it
straightforward to use at the low end of things, so that people can start
using it easily - for the most part, that isn't interesting in itself; the
other is about getting it to perform well at the high end of things, which
is where the fun research is. Using Falkon and using EC2 are both on that
side of things.