[Swift-devel] jobchart

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 11 09:57:55 CDT 2007

Mihael:

Is it easy to do a version of this that shows what each specific CPU is
doing? That would be helpful in terms of understanding bottlenecks. I
guess it is difficult when a separate GRAM submission is performed per
task. It would be easy when using DeeF.

Ian.

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> I updated it a bit.
> Two interesting ones (warning: ~700kB files):
> http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~hategan/helloworld-i4lb1xpvedgs0.log.png
>
> and
>
> http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~hategan/helloworld-okdn8oj4qg411.log.png
>
> The first one has the gradual throttling disabled. The second one has it
> set to a low value.
> Granted, this is running /bin/sleep 2 (ignore the fact that the label
> says "echo"), but the fact that lack of throttling can cause resource
> saturation and slightly worse performance is interesting.
> I still have to figure out what, besides checking the exit code file,
> causes the long delays after the job is done. I'm guessing it's some CPU
> intensive stuff that doesn't parallelize very well on my laptop.
>
> Mihael
>
> On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 22:09 -0600, Mike Wilde wrote:
>
>> That is beautiful!  Nice work, Mihael.
>>
>> - Mike
>>
>> Mihael Hategan wrote, On 3/10/2007 7:44 PM:
>>
>>> There's a new tool in bin.
>>>
>>> It's a spin off Jens' "show-id" tool.
>>> After careful analysis of show-id, it became apparent that a lot of the
>>> difficulty was in gathering and organizing the data, rather than in
>>> generating the plots. This one's written in python and lacks the command
>>> line options to control sizes, but includes the logic in Jens' tool that
>>> automatically scale things.
>>>
>>> It does not show individual stage-ins and stage-outs. I'll have to think
>>> of a way to represent those on the plot without making it messy.
>>> It needs the logs to contain debugging info from individual tasks:
>>> log4j.logger.org.globus.cog.abstraction.impl.common.task.TaskImpl=DEBUG
>>>
>>> I've updated this in SVN, but if you want to run it on older builds, you
>>> need the above in log4j.properties.
>>>
>>> I attached a sample output.
>>>
>>> Mihael

   Ian Foster, Director, Computation Institute
Argonne National Laboratory & University of Chicago
Argonne: MCS/221, 9700 S. Cass Ave, Argonne, IL 60439
Chicago: Rm 405, 5640 S. Ellis Ave, Chicago, IL 60637
Tel: +1 630 252 4619.  Web: www.ci.uchicago.edu.
      Globus Alliance: www.globus.org.