[Swift-devel] Re: [Swft] Q about throttling

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 21 21:53:58 CDT 2007

Sorry to jump in on the discussion late.  Here are my thoughts on this
issue:

Actually, what you are seeing is the completion rate of about 1/sec, but
all 200 executors were busy... this is inherent to the length of time
each task was taking, namely about 200 seconds on each executor, and we
had 200 executors to process them, so we get 200/200, or 1/sec... so
this was perfectly normal.  The part that is not normal, around time
5000+ sec (where the red disappears, and only green is found), only
about 90 executors were kept busy, and the Falkon queue length was
relatively at 0... so this means that Swift was not submitting fast
enough to keep all the executors busy.  If Swift submission rate would
have been higher, I would have expected to see a little bit of red
before each green bar throughout the graph.  Perhaps the Swift rate of
submission was lower due to the dependencies in the workflow, but as I
stated in a previous email, the red queue time should have continued
until about task # 9600 (301 [first 3 stages] + 6800 [4th stage] + 2500
[failed tasks])...

Ioan

Ben Clifford wrote:
> neat. when was the run made that generated those graphs?
>
> The submits seem to be going through at about 1/sec in the 1000..2000s
> time range. Is that the bit that is the problem?
>
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Ian Foster wrote:
>

>> See this document for a set of three graphs that Ioan produced:
>>
>> http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~iraicu/research/docs/MolDyn/100-Mol_MolDyn.pdf
>>
>> The first is the same as Tibi's, I think. The second and third are new. I want
>> to have all three produced in a standard way for every application run.
>>
>> Ian.
>>

>> Ben Clifford wrote:
>>
>>> actually, the graph that Tibi showed, which I think is pretty much the same
>>> as the graph from Ioan's gui visualizer thing, would be interesting to see
>>> for the present MolDyn runs.
>>>
>>> It was interesting to look at when wondering about the bug Yong fixed last
>>> week.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Laboratory