[Swift-devel] Swift application testing practices

Mike Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 19 19:41:44 CDT 2007

First, lets change this subject line.

Second, I'm learning that we really are an open source development
team, in that we're very distributed.  And on such teams, we need to
learn how to dish out and receive scoldings from each other. Both
with a smile.  Like so:  :)

This discussion is good and the kind of pointers we need to exchange
as part of continuous improvement.

Nika, it sounds like its a simple case of using a different
procedure to update your Swift code - and that we should document
the procedure for all to use, especially the growing user base.

I'd like to see us starting and growing nice wiki pages for these
techniques, and to periodically restructure the wiki as needed to
keep it informative and useful to us.

Please, do this as a matter of course, without being "assigned" to
do it. It helps makes our environment a great place to work, and
certainly helps us grow.

Btw - I found the talk by Brian Fitzpatrick at the Globus committers
meeting to be excellent, and very inspiring.  Dont be misled by the
title: it applies as much to defining what "Good" people are as it
does to dealing with "bad" ones.

Here's a nice summary:

http://www.oreillynet.com/conferences/blog/2006/07/oscon_how_open_source_projects.html

The video is at:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645

The slides are at:

http://www.slideshare.net/vishnu/how-to-protect-yourhow-to-protect-your-open-source-project-from-poisonous-people/

And a great book recommended by both the speakers and our own Ben is:

Producing  Open Source Software
How to Run a Successful Free Software Project
by Karl Fogel

Full text is at:
http://producingoss.com/

This is a nice fast read that you can get a lot out of on each
10-minute break that you spend browsing it.

I think there's loads of things we can pick up from here to help us
grow as a project and as a team.

- Mike