[Swift-devel] on the semantics of 'array closing'

Mike Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 16 12:14:20 CDT 2007

I have to say for the record that I'm ready to concede victory to
the functional camp in this discussion. (This is like conceding
defeat but with a positive spin. If you cant beat 'em join 'em ;)

I've previously felt that functional programming would be too hard
to sell to our user base.

But clearly Ben, Mihael and Ian are all in the f-camp.

As long as we take it all the way, and work through all our existing
docs, tutorials and application codes to make sure that the
functional way of expressing things has clean elegant semantics, is
clean to write and efficient to reliably implement, I think we're on
a good path.

The first criteria of a successful programming tool is that its
implementers love it and use it effectively.  If they do, the user
community is likely to follow along, grow and be successful. And as
long as we meet that criteria I am happy that we are on the right track.

So lets function-away, do it right and make it work. Lets try keep
the syntax close to its current c-like form to make the language
"look" more palatable to the imperative hordes. I.e.  where you
*can* express things in a c-like form, do so, for comfort and
readability.

Ben, Mihael: you have the green light to move the language in that
direction.

Any objections - speak now!

- Mike