[Swift-devel] VDS1 transfer executable

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Jul 24 10:11:03 CDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> It's I/O bound stuff, so the CPU is likely not to be the problem. And
> generally the eth card would be fatter than the pipe outside.

In the case where eg. dCache is 'inside' rather than 'outside', that's
different.

> The local storage on the other hand may be a problem. It's tricky
> however. Should a bunch of executables need the same input file, it
> would likely be better to transfer it only once on the head node than
> multiple times on each worker node.

Its got to be transferred to the worker nodes anyway (at least as much of
it as is read/written) - in the present case using whatever shared posix
fs the site-wide scratch space lives on.

How the two different approaches stack up is probably going to depend on
the site layout and its relation to wherever submit-side data lives
(which, as I said, may be on-site); and on the app. So I don't think
there's one right way to do it.