[Swift-devel] VDS1 transfer executable

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 24 10:05:30 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 14:52 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>
> > Can you be more specific on what bottlenecks we're trying to avoid?
>
> pumping all the data for the workflow through one ethernet card and CPU.

It's I/O bound stuff, so the CPU is likely not to be the problem. And
generally the eth card would be fatter than the pipe outside.

The local storage on the other hand may be a problem. It's tricky
however. Should a bunch of executables need the same input file, it
would likely be better to transfer it only once on the head node than
multiple times on each worker node.