[Swift-devel] hanging workflow

Yong Zhao yongzh at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 30 10:58:48 CDT 2007

Ben,

The problem is with the array slices[] and it has long been a problem for
assigning values to an array.

although you assign values to its elements 0,1,2,3 but the system can not
figure out how many elements the array is supposed to have (say, it could
have 100 elements) thus the array is not closed and workflow hangs.

The difference with the one you did run is that when you assign values to
an array using syntax like:

 array = [elem0,elem1,elem2,elem3]

Then the array is closed right after that, so the workflow continues.

For Tibi's workflow, the problem is the same, values are assigned in a
foreach loop, but the array is not closed after that.

We talked about this a couple of times, one (not so intuitive) solution is
to put the assignments into a procedure, then the array will be closed
when exiting the procedure. The other way is to actively figure out when
to close the array, which is not trivial.

Yong.