sieve-dev Sieve examples

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed May 12 13:24:23 CDT 2010

The best thing, of course, is to see a working example. Here are some,
admittedly complicated, pointers:

  a) PetFMM: http://barbagroup.bu.edu/Barba_group/PetFMM.html

      This uses Sieve constructs to manage data and has a manual and working
examples

  b) Blaise's code: This sets up an FEM problem using Sieve through F90,
which is a little painful, but short

  c) PyLith: http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/short/pylith

     This is a very large code, but uses everything Sieve can do.

  d) The tutorial examples: As soon as I fix them, they will be the best
intro. The GUCASTutorialCode repo
      should almost work and shows how everything should go for making an
FEM code :)

   Matt

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Yaakoub El Khamra
<yye00 at tacc.utexas.edu>wrote:

> That is perfectly understandable. I am hoping to get started with sieve, so
> if there is a better starting point please do let me know. Andy was kind
> enough to provide the Sieve intro slides which made the terminology much
> clearer.
>
> Regards
> Yaakoub El Khamra
>

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sorry Yaakoub,
>>
>>   All the examples are indeed broken, which shows how many people use
>> them.
>> I will fix them on the weekend. The problem is that the main Sieve users
>> (PyLith,
>> Blaise, PetFMM) required changes, and do not use any of the examples.
>>
>>   Thanks,
>>
>>     Matt
>>

>> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Yaakoub El Khamra <
>> yye00 at tacc.utexas.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> So I am trying to build the sieve examples and have run into interesting
>>> errors. I only managed to get the watson example to compile but it segfaults
>>> when I run it. All others refuse to compile with varying errors ranging from
>>> missing header files to:
>>> error: invalid initialization of reference of type
>>> ‘ALE::Obj<ALE::IMesh<ALE::LabelSifter<int, int,
>>> ALE::malloc_allocator<ALE::NewSifterDef::Arrow<int, int> > > >,
>>> ALE::malloc_allocator<ALE::IMesh<ALE::LabelSifter<int, int,
>>> ALE::malloc_allocator<ALE::NewSifterDef::Arrow<int, int> > > > > >&’ from
>>> expression of type ‘ALE::Obj<ALE::Mesh, ALE::malloc_allocator<ALE::Mesh> >’
>>>
>>> I did compile with fiat and the generator but obviously I am missing
>>> something. Any thoughts/recommendations are greatly appreciated.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Yaakoub El Khamra
>>>

>> --
>> experiments lead.