[petsc-users] KSP number of iterations different from size of residual array

Kevin G. Wang kevinw3 at vt.edu
Wed Jan 10 18:09:38 CST 2024

Hello everyone!

I am writing a code that uses PETSc/KSP to solve linear systems. I just
realized that after running "KSPSolve(...)", the number of iterations given
by

KSPGetIterationNumber(ksp, &numIts)

is *different* from the size of the residual history given by

KSPGetResidualHistory(ksp, NULL, &nEntries);

That is, "numIts" is not equal to "nEntries". Is this expected, or a bug in
my code? (I thought they should be the same...)

I have tried several pairs of solvers and preconditioners (e.g., fgmres &
bjacobi, ibcgs & bjacobi). This issue happens to all of them.

Thanks!
Kevin

--
Kevin G. Wang, Ph.D.