[petsc-users] Periodic boundary conditions using swarm

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 07:53:33 CDT 2024

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 8:23 AM MIGUEL MOLINOS PEREZ <mmolinos at us.es> wrote:

>  Dear all, I am working on the implementation of periodic bcc using a
> discretisation (PIC-style). I am working with a test case which consists on
> solving the advection of a set of particles inside of a box (DMDA mesh)
> with periodic bcc on
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
> This Message Is From an External Sender
> This message came from outside your organization.
>
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am working on the implementation of periodic bcc using a discretisation
> (PIC-style). I am working with a test case which consists on solving the
> advection of a set of particles inside of a box (DMDA mesh) with periodic
> bcc on the x axis.
>
> My implementation updates the position of each particle with a velocity
> field, afterwards I check if the particle is inside, or not, the supercell
> (periodic box). If not, I correct the position using bcc conditions. Once
> this step is done, I call Dmswarmmigrate.
>
> It works in serial, but crashes in parallel with MPI (see attached nohup
> file). I have checked some of the Dmswarmmigrate examples, and they looks
> similar to my implementation. However they do not use periodic bcc.
>
> I am missing any step in addition to Dmswarmmigrate?

It does not sound like it. We do have parallel examples of periodic
migration, such as Swarm ex9.

What happens if you turn off periodicity and just let particles fall out of
the box? Does it still crash?

https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!YAPx7Q5VFXWaibGKwqJDGzxvP0snoJmOJZWb4-jtxTRnZNS4wl35_Rp74soLPXHoOsFuG3UoInaqqVUz6Az-$  <https://urldefense.us/v3/__http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!YAPx7Q5VFXWaibGKwqJDGzxvP0snoJmOJZWb4-jtxTRnZNS4wl35_Rp74soLPXHoOsFuG3UoInaqqTqTQxTy$ >