[petsc-users] MatSetValue problem (in Fortran)

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 23 10:22:57 CDT 2023

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 10:18 AM Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> wrote:

>   Are they then not using any preallocation?

I asked but have not gotten a response.

> The "old dumb MatSetValues" used default preallocation. To reproduce that
> they can call MatXAIJSetPreallocation() with 10 and 3 as the local and
> nonlocal number of nonzeros per row.

I am sure they use some sort of preallocation, or they would have seen bad
performance problems and they are pretty mature PETSc users, but we have to
wait and see.

>   Best to use -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger to find the
> details of the crash

They did give me a ddt --offline .hdftm file, attached
(nice when you can't open a window, eg, Frontier).
I asked them to try to get a line number.

Thanks,
Mark