[petsc-users] Interpreting Redistribution SF

Nicholas Arnold-Medabalimi narnoldm at umich.edu
Thu Jan 19 10:57:24 CST 2023

Hi Petsc Users

I'm working with a distribution start forest generated by
DMPlexDistribute and PetscSFBcast and Reduce to move data between the
initial distribution and the distribution generated by DMPlex Distribute.

I'm trying to debug some values that aren't being copied properly and
wanted to verify I understand how a redistribution SF works compared with a
SF that describes overlapped points.

  [0] 0 <- (0,7)     point 0 on the distributed plex is point 7 on process
0 on the initial distribution
  [0] 1 <- (0,8)     point 1 on the distributed plex is point 8 on process
0 on the initial distribution
  [0] 2 <- (0,9)
  [0] 3 <- (0,10)
  [0] 4 <- (0,11)

  [1] 0 <- (1,0)     point 0 on the distributed plex is point 0 on process
1 on the initial distribution
  [1] 1 <- (1,1)
  [1] 2 <- (1,2)
  [1] 3 <- (0,0)     point 3 on the distributed plex is point 0 on process
0 on the initial distribution
  [1] 4 <- (0,1)
  [1] 5 <- (0,2)

 my confusion I think is how does the distributionSF inform of what cells
will be leafs on the distribution?

Sincerely
Nicholas

--