[petsc-users] coordinate degrees of freedom for 2nd-order gmsh mesh

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 20:10:38 CST 2023

On Thu 12. Jan 2023 at 17:58, Blaise Bourdin <bourdin at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what is the rationale for _reading_ high order gmsh
> meshes?

GMSH can use a CAD engine like OpenCascade. This provides geometric
representations via things like BSplines. Such geometric representation are
not exposed to the users application code, nor are they embedded in any
mesh format GMSH emits. The next best thing is to use a high order
representation of the mesh geometry and project the CAD geometry (say a
BSpline) into this higher order function space. The projection of the
geometry is a quantity that can be described with the .msh format.

Is it so that one can write data back in native gmsh format?

No.

Cheers,
Dave