[petsc-users] How to use DM_BOUNDARY_GHOSTED for Dirichlet boundary conditions

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Feb 27 11:17:55 CST 2023

Paul,

DM_BOUNDARY_GHOSTED  would result in the extra ghost locations in the local vectors (obtained with DMCreateLocalVector() but they will not appear in the global vectors obtained with DMCreateGlobalVector(); perhaps this is the issue? Since they do not appear in the global vector they will not appear in the linear system so there will be no diagonal entries for you to set since those rows/columns do not exist in the linear system.  In other words, using DM_BOUNDARY_GHOSTED is a way to avoid needing to put the Dirichlet values explicitly into the system being solved; DM_BOUNDARY_GHOSTED is generally more helpful for nonlinear systems than linear systems.

Barry