[petsc-users] DMPlex Halo Communication or Graph Partitioner Issue

Mike Michell mi.mike1021 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 20:49:56 CST 2023

Dear PETSc team,

I am using PETSc for Fortran with DMPlex. I have been using this version of
PETSc:
>>git rev-parse origin
>>995ec06f924a86c4d28df68d1fdd6572768b0de1
>>git rev-parse FETCH_HEAD
>>9a04a86bf40bf893fb82f466a1bc8943d9bc2a6b

There has been no issue, before the one with VTK viewer, which Jed fixed
today (
https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/merge_requests/6081/diffs?commit_id=27ba695b8b62ee2bef0e5776c33883276a2a1735
).

Since that MR has been merged into the main repo, I pulled the latest
version of PETSc (basically I cloned it from scratch). But if I use the
same configure option with before, and run my code, then there is an issue
with halo exchange. The code runs without error message, but it gives wrong
solution field. I guess the issue I have is related to graph partitioner or
halo exchange part. This is because if I run the code with 1-proc, the
solution is correct. I only updated the version of PETSc and there was no
change in my own code. Could I get any comments on the issue? I was
wondering if there have been many changes in halo exchange or graph
partitioning & distributing part related to DMPlex.

Thanks,
Mike