[petsc-users] interpreting data from SNESSolve profiling

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed Feb 8 16:00:05 CST 2023

     Yes, the "basic" line search updates the solution vector and evaluates the function at the new solution point; not much else.

     There are no duplicate or extra function evaluations in PETSc, (most of them occur in the linesearch function). When the code returns from the line search routine it "knows" the function evaluation has already been done (at the newest solution) so it does not need to do it again.

     The line search does not perform the Newton step, it takes the step computed by the linear solve and decides how to use that step (you will see that KSPSolve time is not part of the line search time).

   Barry